GTA 6 May Be Set in Vice City and South America With a 2022 Release Window: Report

According to a new report, Grand Theft Auto 6 (GTA 6) may take place in two locations — Vice City and South America. While the former is Rockstar’s take on Miami, players will go to South America for a few missions. The game is being referred to at Rockstar as Project Americas.

In addition to this, GTA 6 may, for the first time, include a female protagonist as one of it leads. Though there’s no confirmation if you’ll be able to control multiple characters like you could in GTA V.

But don’t expect to play GTA 6 anytime soon. The game is slated to be available around 2022. If so, it could possibly signal the end of the PS4 and Xbox One with GTA 6 being their collective swan song as well as it being re-released for the next wave of consoles from Sony and Microsoft as well as the PC.

The source of this information is YouTube channel The Know (via VG247) that cites an “inside source”. The Know’s track record is spotty at best.

Nonetheless, it could suggest that despite GTA Online being Rockstar’s number one cash cow at the moment, the team is thinking about life after Red Dead Redemption 2.

Previously, Take-Two announced that GTA V sold over 90 million units worldwide with it’s multiplayer component, GTA Online, being the largest driver of consumer expenditure in the last quarter. GTA Online will see more content updates in the months to come.

This means that GTA V sold 15 million units in 2017 alone. Not too shabby for a game that originally released in 2013. To put it into perspective, Star Wars Battlefront 2 sold seven million units and that was below publisher EA’s expectations.

“Looking at the numbers, and accounting for the PS3, 360 and PC versions, we can roughly say that more than one in three PS4 and XB1 [Xbox One] owners have a copy of Grand Theft Auto 5. The game is a must buy with a current gen console purchase,” tweeted industry analyst Daniel Ahmad.

“We are expecting another record year for Grand Theft Auto Online,” Take-Two Chief Executive Strauss Zelnick said on an earnings call. “Everything is going better than expected and we do have pretty high expectations.”

The company reported net income of $25.1 million (around Rs. 160 crore), or 21 cents per share, in third quarter ended Dec. 31, compared with a loss of $29.8 million (roughly Rs. 190 crore), or 33 cents per share, a year earlier. Take-Two said it had a net benefit of $11.9 million (approximately Rs. 77 crore) in the latest quarter from the overhaul of the US tax code.

With GTA V for the Nintendo Switch rumoured to be in the works this could be a way for Take-Two and Rockstar to prop up profits until 64GB game cartridges are available for the Switch.

If you’re a fan of video games, check out Transition– Gadgets 360’s gaming podcast. You can listen to it via Apple Podcasts or RSS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com